The modern lifestyle has discreetly trained us to stay distracted, immersed in our smartphones and constantly check for updates, that we often fail to realise how impatient, preoccupied and restless we all have become.
The simple ritual of making and drinking tea has been celebrated as a source of energy, light and alignment since ancient times. But due to lack of awareness and appreciation, we tend to overlook the power of the humble leaf. Tea meditation is a simple practice that will help you pause, reconnect, reboot and embrace life. And here are lovefortea’s 5 simple steps that will guide you to achieve that:
1. Boil water – Start with boiling water for your tea. Simply watch the water boil. Empty your mind and be present in the moment. Embrace the process. Be patient. Watch the bubbles go from tiny, large to rolling. Inhale the steam. Let it remind you to breathe deep – inhale and exhale. Let the process clear your lungs and mind.
2. Select tea leaves –Choose the kind of tea depending on your mood and taste buds preference every day. Feel the texture of the leaves, watch the size, color and shape. Bite them if you want. Smell and absorb the aroma. And add them to your glass teapot. We prefer glass teaware for the visual splendor they offer.
3. Steep and Infuse – Pour hot water into your glass teapot. Admire the dry leaves unfurl, expand, dance, float, sink and come to life. Appreciate the cloud of color from nature spreading out in your teapot, turning the water into tea. Notice the steam wafting up and smell the aroma. Let the leaves steep for 2 to 5 minutes depending on the kind of tea you are making. Relax and breathe easy.
4. Pour – Your tea is ready. Next step is to pour your tea into your cup. Now, don’t just use any cup. Pick the one you love, the one you like to touch and sip from. The one that’s special and calls to you. Decant the tea slowly while witnessing the magical drink pouring from the teapot into your cup. Notice the calming sound of infusion hitting the walls of your cup and the steam rising. Cherish the moment.
5. Drink your tea – Just sit with your tea for 2 minutes now and let it cool slightly. Look at the rich color of your tea. Hold the cup in between your hands and bring it close to your face. Inhale deeply. Feel the warm invigorating aroma awakening your senses and take you into a beautiful journey. To your favorite place. Exhale and while you do so, empty your mind of any thoughts. Sip slowly. Swirl the tea around your mouth and feel the taste of it. Notice the flavors. Repeat slowly. Focus on the tea, enjoy the moment and connect with yourself. Find inner peace. Life is beautiful.
Your morning and evening cup of tea can easily transcend into your modern day meditation. It’s easy. So, pick your favorite spot in the house, light some incense and put some relaxing music on. Maybe light up a candle. Practice mindfully and experience how 20 minutes of your day will transport you to another realm and way of life, with the oneness of man, nature and spirit – the very purpose of tea.